Join the Manatee!
OWL’s Ultimate Frisbee Team
Click here to see a slideshow from the 2015 Girls' Ultimate Team.
Select below to see some awesome slow motion videos from the 2015 Boys' Ultimate Team:
Video #1: Dionte to Daniel to YeeLeng for the Score
Video #2: Joshua lays out-- almost scores
Video #3: Joshua to Chris for the score
Video #4: Julius for the score
Video #5: Ma'iingan for the score
Video #6: Tom for the score
Indoor Practices: Fridays 2 - 4 PM, February 20 and 27, March 6 and 13
Outdoor: Tuesdays and Thursdays 2 PM - 4:30 PM March 17th through May 28th
Girls’ Games on Tuesday evenings after practice starting March 31
Varsity Boys’ Games on Thursday evenings after practice starting April 2
State Tournament May 30-31 Blaine National Sports Center
All students grades 6-12 are invited to join OWL’s Ultimate Frisbee Team, The Manatee. The team is for both beginner and experienced players.
Our program is divided into three teams:
1. Girls’ Team: Also known as the “Wo-Manatee,” there is just one team for the girls grades 6-12, with the majority of playing time in games going to the older, more experienced players. They play against other area high schools on Tuesdays and participate in the Minnesota Youth Ultimate State Tournament.
2. Boys’ Varsity Team: This team plays games on Thursdays against area high schools and also participates in the Minnesota Youth Ultimate State Tournament. **In late March there will be tryouts at regular practice time to determine the roster for the team.
3. Boys’ Development Team: This team will be made up of boys not on the Varsity this year. They will practice on Tuesdays and Thursdays and hold intramural scrimmages on Tuesdays during practice (like Fraquetball) to build game skills and prepare for being on the varsity team in the future.
For the next few weeks, we will continue to hold indoor practices in the OWL gym on Fridays (dates listed above).
*Weather permitting, we will begin playing outdoors starting March 18. Outdoor practices and home games take place on Tuesdays and Thursdays at Harriet Island Park (there are 4 away games). Players will walk down to Harriet Island together from OWL. Families will need to pick up their students when practice is over at the Harriet Island EAST Parking Lot.
The girls’ and boys’ varsity teams will have 8 games against other Twin Cities schools. The season wraps up with the State Tournament in Blaine at the National Sports Center May 30-31. Please get these dates on your calendar now.
The base cost to participate in Ultimate Frisbee is $20. Additionally, all girls and the boys varsity must join the USA Ultimate Players Association ($31). If you are in need of a $20 scholarship, let Tim know.
How to sign up for Ultimate Frisbee—Please Read Carefully:
1. By March 17th, please complete and return the Intent to Participate form (attached).
2. By March 17th, fill out the USA Ultimate Medical Authorization Form
3. $20 Check payable to Open World Learning Community (MN High School Ultimate League Fee)
All paperwork and fees must be in by Tuesday, March 18th, the first day of practice.
4. For all girls and boys varsity players, by March 17th, Join/Rejoin USA ULTIMATE by going online to usaultimate.org.
Go to MEMBERSHIP and LOGIN/CREATE ACCOUNT. Follow steps to register and pay $31 fee. If you cannot pay online, give cash or check (payable to USA Ultimate) to Tim.
• Athletic shoes and appropriate clothing
• Provide own transportation home –
must be picked up at 4:30 PM. sharp from practice field on practice days and approximately 7:30 PM on game days.
• Consistent Attendance
Any questions can be forwarded to